In this special tourism industry interview, Business News Wales' editor, Mark Powney hosts a frank discussion with Minister for the Economy, Vaughan Gething.
Topics discussed include:
- What is sustainable tourism?
- Is there an opportunity for Wales to position itself as a global leader in terms of being seen as an eco-destination?
- Convincing tourism and hospitality businesses to move to a more sustainable way of working is a priority for Welsh Government, yet 80% of self-catering businesses in Wales have yet to fully embrace sustainability. Do we need to rethink education and marketing to focus on the business case for creating a sustainable strategy, rather than the environmental ethical reason for doing so?
- Over 25% of Wales’ economy is driven by the visitor economy yet unlike other UK nations we don’t have a tourism minister, specifically devoted to the industry. Is this something Welsh Government are looking at?
- The Tourism Levy is causing a lot of concern in the sector, what’s the latest?
- Will there be any new funding packages to help tourism businesses to become more sustainable?
- Are there any plans in place to further develop sustainable transport?